Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 3: Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shabbat Shalom… not too much exciting during the day but we had a night out in Tiberias. We went out to dinner… I’m beginning to think the food here is not so good… and then to a bar in town called Big Ben. It was alright I spent half the time wandering around town. We found a really cool old mosque (see Photo).

The real excitement came at the end of the night when we had a run in with some Israeli punks. I guess a few incidents had happened to people walking around but it escalated when they walked past the bar and a bunch of us were on the deck. They yelled out something about Americans and then one pervert decided to take out his junk and wave it around at us which got everyone yelling. Yoed, one of our Israeli tour leaders told them he was calling the cops for molestation and pretended to call so they took off. Right as we were leaving to go back to the bus they showed back up. I guess one of them grabbed a girls ass and she shoved him and then choas broke out as our protective guys stepped in the middle. Mass confusion as we don’t speak Hebrew and their English was minimal. Our guides yelled at us to go back to the bus which we did but they kept following us. As we drove off they cut they bus off around the corner and started throwing rocks and spitting at our bus. Yuri our bus driver had enough so he ran of to teach them a lesson and quite a few of the boys ran off after him. So punches were thrown but nothing to big… till two of the girls freaked out and started screaming how they don’t feel safe , they want to go home… that Yuri should have run them over and why wasn’t Menechem using his gun on them. Seriously? Seriously… these were 16 year old kids… complete over-reaction! Our lives were never threatened. I understand people get freaked out more about certain things, I just felt like this was blown completely out of proportion. Don’t get me wrong… I like the two girls, I was just pretty appalled and shocked by there reaction. Personally, I found the whole incident rather amusing. I mainly just felt bad for our guides who had to deal with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment